Sunday, March 2, 2014

2014 Kitchen Experiment #3 - Baked Brie en Croute

     Ok, so it seems that everyone I know can make this crowd favorite except me. Something about baking cheese to that exact point so that it oozes silky onto the plate when you cut into it was very intimidating, but I'm in a phase in my life where any challenge is an invitation to expand my horizons. So, before the phase passes, I decided to go big or go home.
     The prep was easy enough, and the recipe I used as a guide had some embellishments that definitely enhanced the finished product. I spread orange jam over the cheese round before covering it with the dough. Once I wrapped it, I brushed black walnut syrup over the dough and sprinkled it lightly with brown sugar.
     The result was a crispy, glistening crust with a hint of sweetness that amusingly complemented the sharpness of the cheese.
     The cheese didn't quite ooze as I wanted it to, but I suspect that in waiting for the crust to brown to my satisfaction, I may have overcooked it slightly.
     Also, going back to the sharpness of the cheese, I think I got a little presumptuous. I bought an expensive Brie that was extremely pungent and turned off my lab assistant (John) from the outcome of the experiment. Even I found it almost too sharp. I never thought this cheese lover would utter (write) these words. Thank goodness for the sweet embellishments!

   
BB Free ©2014


No comments:

Post a Comment