Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Leopold's Ice Cream

In 1919, three brothers from Greece brought hand-crafted ice cream to Savannah, and the people of this charming city, and its visitors, remain faithful. At all hours of the day, long yet fast-moving lines fringe the street where iconic Leopold's stands. It has a '50s vibe, and the menu offers fountain classics, freshly baked pastries, and café items for those who wish to make a meal out of the experience.
   
    But the magic is in the ice cream, without a doubt. By the time I discovered what the flavors of the day were, John was already in line and out of sight while I saved our table, and I couldn't change my order from pistachio to the Dutch Utopia, chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips and orange candies. Or the Savannah Socialite, milk and chocolate ice cream with bourbon infused caramel and pecans. Now, don't those sound like a lot of time and love were put into creating them?
     My regret soon evaporated when I got the first taste of my pistachio. Not only was the flavor distinct and rich, but I didn't have to dig for the pistachios. They were everywhere, every spoonful covered in chewy nuttiness. John had classic chocolate, and once he started his gentle shoveling, he didn't come up for air until the cup was empty. I can safely assume he liked it.

   
     We did sample the Leopold's Club sandwich from their café menu. It had good ham, turkey, and bacon, but it wasn't any different than the sandwiches Mom made hastily to put in our lunchboxes. It didn't really matter. We weren't there for the sandwich, were we? It's all about the ice cream, and for good reason. Had we spent more time in Savannah, I know Leopold's would have been a daily stop in our gastronomic tour.

BB Free ©2017

2 comments: