Friday, January 8, 2016

Brazaviva

     Another year has come to an end, and we are grateful for blessings bestowed. Our Christmas Day brunch is always a highlight of the season, but since our regular venue, La Gloutonnerie, closed its doors, we have been in search of a new place to call home.
    
     Brazaviva is a Brazilian steakhouse in the style of Fogo De Chao and Texas de Brazil. A parade of meats descends upon your table, and your side dishes are spread in a huge self-serve bar. These can range from all varieties of cold and hot salads, rice dishes, pasta dishes, cheeses, vegetables and fruits. But not at Brazaviva. Here the bar is but a small fraction of what you find at either Fogo or Texas. That wouldn't be a problem if the selections were of equal quality. There's a lot to be said for quality over quantity, but this bar is poor, uninspired and sorely lacking in flavor.
 
    
    The fried cinnamon bananas and the small yucca puffs offered as table snacks are amusing, but the 'festival of blandness' theme continued throughout the rest of the meal. The meats were cooked well, but a little Kosher salt would've gone a long way in bringing out their natural flavor. Even dessert, with its promising array of choices, turned out to be underwhelming.
Photo by Andrea G.
     The display was attractive and enticed with two kinds of cheesecake, flan, chocolate cake, Tiramisu, and mousses of guava, chocolate and papaya. We ordered the chocolate cake and the flan cheesecake. The best thing I can say is that the chocolate cake tasted like chocolate. Predictably, no discernible flavor could be detected from our other choice.
 
     The restaurant is comfortable and sleek. Dark wood contrasts with white table linens. Two elegant bars anchor the main seating sections. A long private room and a wall of wine bottles are enclosed in glass. If the food wasn't such a disappointment, this is the kind of place where I could linger and lounge. But alas, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
     I am nothing if not persevering. I won't rest until I find a new home for my Christmas Day celebration.

BB Free ©2016
     

9 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan. We had something similar here in Essex, it was called 'COPACABANA'. One of my favourite restaurants at the time, never seen that much food in my life. Unfortunately its closed down now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite an experience when it's well executed.

      Delete
  2. My hubby and I have eaten at Fogo da Chao! There's sooooo much food. We love the lamb! The spread looks great at this establishment. I hope you find a new home for your Christmas Day celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LaKisha. The search will continue. If you have a chance, try Texas de Brazil. Their spread is unbelievable.

      Delete
  3. I haven't eaten there before. However, growing up in Brazil I'm intimately familiar with this kind of food. I love the Picanha and Filet Mignon. We have several where I live now in the USA and they are such a treat. I hope you find a new home for your Christmas Day celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so you are an expert, Jonathan. This particular place I fear would be a disappointment for you.

      Delete
  4. Yum! The food at this steakhouse looks absolutely delicious. I pinned your post to my Vacation/Travel board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Brazilian steakhouse concept and your pics are excellent.

    ReplyDelete