Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Squid Lips Overwater Bar & Grill

   
The name just draws you in, doesn't it? The sight of the building surrounded by water as you walk to the end of the pier heightens my anticipation for a lazy, tropical lunch. Even in the humid days of Florida's summer, a forgiving ocean breeze allows for al fresco dining.
     One item on the appetizer menu caught my eye, something I'd never seen or thought of before: Coconut Onion Chips. They were more like onion petals, but oh my, what a find! Dipped in coconut rum batter, rolled in coconut flakes, and gently fried, they came with a honey citrus glaze I used on everything on my plate. And how perfectly they paired with my Mudslide. When this cocktail arrived at the table, I felt my Labor Day getaway had officially begun.
   
     Inspired by the coconut onion glory, I ordered the Shrimp Caesar Wrap. It was supposed to contain shrimp tossed in parmesan cheese. The small shrimp were scarce, and the parmesan unnoticeable. Romaine lettuce was abundant- correction, excessive. The Key-lime caesar dressing advertised was nowhere to be found, hence my decision to use the sublime honey citrus glaze instead. It came in the company of potato chips devoid of any personality. The wrap was a veritable disappointment.
     John stayed on dry land and ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich with hickory smoked barbecue sauce, french fries, and coleslaw. The pork was tender and the sauce savory, although John thought there wasn't enough of it. The fries were satisfactory, but the coleslaw left me dumbstruck. Sadly, I can't sugarcoat how objectionable it was. The cabbage was swimming in some sort of tasteless, milky sauce. Totally unpalatable.
   
     Fortunately, I didn't have to leave with the dreadful taste of that coleslaw dressing. We found one of John's dessert favorites on the menu, Key lime pie. My criteria for this dessert is that it must be rich, silky, sweet, with a punch of tartness that makes me pucker and smack my lips. This one had all the elements, but the punch was powerful. It put hair on my tastebuds. I wished for a little more sweetness.
     I don't know that I would return for a second visit, but if only for the onion chips and the Mudslide, I'm glad we made a stop at Squid Lips.

BB Free ©2017

No comments:

Post a Comment