Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Morton's The Steakhouse

In the exclusive world of iconic steakhouses, Morton's occupies a significant position. Miami Spice is a marketing strategy that allows patrons to experience the ultimate in fine dining at a reasonable price. The August-September season is also an opportunity for exclusive restaurants such as Morton's to make a good impression on first-time customers that may not have the financial wherewithal for such indulgence too frequently. I fall into that category.
   
     Two stories of impeccably decorated dining areas, all in black, white, and metallics make for an elegant atmosphere. We are greeted by an oversized onion roll and whipped unsalted butter. The bread was a bit dry, but I had an intriguing cocktail to help me wash it down. I ordered the Pumpkin Spice Mule, a rather cloying concoction of Tito's vodka, pumpkin puree, ginger syrup, and pumpkin pie spice with a cinnamon rim. I rejected the rim immediately. The dusty texture and the overwhelming flavor distracted me from the drink itself. Once I focused on the sickly sweet mixture, I found myself loving it and yet wondering if I'd be able to finish it. It was that potent. John is on a Stella Artois season right now, so today he didn't venture into the unknown.
     Our first of three courses began with the Baked Five Onion Soup for John and the Morton's Salad for me, a mixture of iceberg and romaine lettuce, blue cheese dressing, egg, and anchovies. John's soup was rich in sweet onion flavor. My salad was tossed in the perfect amount of blue cheese dressing with some hard boiled egg sprinkled on it, and one anchovy. It was a small but disappointing detail in an otherwise satisfying meal.
   
For the main course, John ordered the center cut filet mignon with a side of creamed corn. I ordered the Chicken Christopher, robust chicken paillards crusty with savory breading and wearing a subtle beurre blanc. Every bite offered an ideal balance of flavor and texture- meaty, crispy, and silky.
     My dish came with sour cream mashed potatoes. Reading the item on the menu didn't thrill me, but I have to admit that carefully whipped potatoes with just the right amount of butter and sour cream is just as luxurious as other flashier accompaniments. John's creamed corn, also not an attention-grabber at first glance, provided another opportunity for Morton's to take a standard to another level. The corn wasn't enmeshed in a thick cream, but rather danced in a light, velvety sauce with a subtle but definitive sweetness.
   
     For dessert, we ordered the double chocolate mousse and the Key lime pie. Both were predictable yet satisfying and gave us that sweet punctuation we always seek at the end of a meal.
     For John, a visit to a steakhouse is all about the meat, and he wasn't disappointed. For me, it's all in the details. Morton's is a classic, and their consistency in serving well prepared steakhouse staples is why it lives up to its reputation.

BB Free ©2017

No comments:

Post a Comment